Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The North vs. The South

This is Luke blowing on the flowers.  He does this when you ask him to smell them.

So I already miss the South y'all.  It's different up here in these parts.  We're doing great and really loving the house!  We even got out yesterday and had a cook out with one of Michael's soon to be colleagues and his wife and kids.  How dorky is that word by the way??  

Now, where was I?  I'm finally feeling pretty settled and have been able to start with the fun part - decorating!  For some reason I have been annoyingly indecisive (and that's my own feelings, not Michael's).  So much so that I can't even decide on a darn shower curtain!!   However, we did buy a couch and a chair this evening for the front room of the house - a formal living room that won't be too formal.   

Anyways, back to my title.  I wanted to make a list:

Things to note about the North:
1.  Today at 12:30 in the afternoon it was only 59 degrees.  What??  That's what I call winter. 
2.  They have Meijer's.  It would be like combining HEB and Walmart.  The produce and fresh foods from HEB with a really solid homegoods section. 
3.  They have Chipotle. 
4.  Starbuck's and Dunkin Donuts are everywhere.  Apparently Dunkin Donuts has great coffee. I'll have to try. 
5.  It really is tulip season up here and they are beautiful. 
6. It stays light until after 9:00pm. 
7. Basements are AWESOME!

Things I already miss about the South:
1. Chick-fil-a
2. BlueBell icecream
3. Not having to pay a monthly fee to have your trash picked up.   Isn't that what taxes are for?
4. Our families.  
5. Wearing shorts and flipflops in the summer. 

Michael just told me the high on Wednesday is 60!!  Brrrrr.  Texas, how I love thee.  That is all for now. 

2 comments:

nic @mybottlesup said...

ohsweetlawd!!!! i so know what you mean when you move from down south to yankee-land.... more for us to discuss when we see you in a couple of weeks. just be glad you didn't move up there in january, like we did.... people are MISERABLE. ugh! i think i posted about it back in january....

anyway, hope you are all continuing to acclimate well.

thinking of you,
nic

nic @mybottlesup said...

ohsweetlawd!!!! i so know what you mean when you move from down south to yankee-land.... more for us to discuss when we see you in a couple of weeks. just be glad you didn't move up there in january, like we did.... people are MISERABLE. ugh! i think i posted about it back in january....

anyway, hope you are all continuing to acclimate well.

thinking of you,
nic